About the Board
Fort Osage is governed by a seven-member Board of Education. Operating within the legal parameters of the state and federal constitutions, the Board is charged with the responsibility of providing the finest educational program possible for the students in the district. Board of Education members make all final decisions regarding school district priorities, policies, personnel, expenditures, and growth management. The Board adopts a budget annually which is necessary to maintain and operate the schools, levy taxes to support the budget, and submit bond issues to the citizens of the district to finance construction projects.
Board of Education Members
President: Mr. Floyd Hawkins, 2021-2024
Vice-President: Mrs. Sharon Dankenbring, 2022-2025
Member: Mr. Tim Brown, 2022-2025
Member: Mr. Chris Gross, 2021-2024
Member: Mr. Kelly Scott, 2020-2023
Member: Mr. David Shrout, 2020-2023
Member: Mr. Gary Thompson, 2020-2023
The Board of Education meets at 7:00 p.m. on the second Tuesday of each month at the Gragg Administrative Office located on the district's main campus at the juncture of Highways 24 and 7.
Addressing the Board
If you would like to speak at a board meeting, you must fill out a ‘Request for Public Participation’ card before the meeting begins. Only comments reasonably related to the posted agenda will be permitted. Cards are available at the meeting location. If you have documents you would like to provide board members, please give them to the Board Secretary before the meeting begins in order for them to be distributed to Board members.
- Anyone wishing to speak to the Board of Education must fill out a card listing name, mailing address, telephone number and topic to be addressed.
- Each speaker will be allowed three (3 minutes) with a maximum of three (3) speakers per topic.
- A total of 20 minutes will be allotted for Public Participation during each board meeting.
- When called to speak, each speaker will identify themselves by stating their name.
- Only comments reasonably related to the posted agenda will be permitted.
- Speakers may provide written text of their prepared comments to board members, if so desired.
- While all comments and prepared written statements will be taken under consideration, the Board of Education will not respond to speakers as individuals or as a group during the meeting.
- Speakers should expect the Board President to interrupt or terminate a presentation if the above rules are not followed or if the time limit has expired.
- If the meeting agenda is full the Board President may reschedule an item for next regular meeting.
- No individual will be permitted to speak more than once during this part of the meeting. Each member of the public to speak will be given the same amount of time to address the Board.
During the ‘Public Participation’ portion of the meeting, you will be called forward by the Board President. As a valued stakeholder, your comments will be given respectful attention. Board members may ask questions to clarify your comments, but will generally refrain from further discussion as the monthly business meeting is not the venue for extensive discussion or debate. The Board will take your comments under advisement. In certain situations, a district employee may be directed to follow up with you in order to gather additional information or provide a resolution to the issue.
If a member of the public wishes to have an item placed on the agenda of a regular Board meeting, he or she may make a written request to the Superintendent after going through the appropriate process for a complaint or concern pursuant to District rules. See District Policy C-120-P regarding Complaints or Concerns. Also see District Policy C-140-P for additional information regarding public comment to the Board of Education.
2022-23 Board Meeting Dates:
July 12, 2022 - A Closed Executive Session will be held at 6:00 pm.
*July 21, 2022 - Special Work Session with a Closed Executive Session held at the Independence Chamber of Commerce located at 210 W. Truman Rd. Indep. Mo 64050 beginning @ 8:30 a.m.
August 9, 2022 - A Closed Executive Session will be held at 6:00 pm.
October 11, 2022
November 8, 2022
December 13, 2022
January 10, 2023
February 14, 2023
March 14, 2023
April 11, 2023
May 9, 2023
June 13, 2023
Contact the Board
The Board of Education Secretary is the liaison between the board and district patrons. You may contact the board secretary by phone at 816-650-7000 or via mail at 2101 N. Twyman Road, Independence, MO 64058