About the Board
Fort Osage is governed by a seven-member Board of Education. Operating within the legal parameters of the state and federal constitutions, the Board is charged with the responsibility of providing the finest educational program possible for the students in the district. Board of Education members make all final decisions regarding school district priorities, policies, personnel, expenditures, and growth management. The Board adopts a budget annually which is necessary to maintain and operate the schools, levy taxes to support the budget, and submit bond issues to the citizens of the district to finance construction projects.
Board of Education Members
Mr. Floyd Hawkins, President
Mrs. Sharon Dankenbring, Vice-President
Mr. Tim Brown, Member
Mrs. Diana Rice, Member
Mr. Kelly Scott, Member
Mr. David Shrout, Member
Mr. Gary Thompson, Member
The Board of Education meets at 7:00 p.m. on the second Tuesday of each month (except as noted below) at the Gragg Administrative Office located on the main campus at the juncture of Highways 24 and 7. You can access the board agendas by clicking here.
July 10, 2018
August 14, 2018
August 28, 2018 - Special Session
September 11, 2018
October 9, 2018
November 13, 2018
December 11, 2018
January 8, 2019
February 12, 2019
March 12, 2019
April 9, 2019
May 14, 2019
June 11, 2019
The Board of Education Secretary is the liaison between the board and district patrons. You may contact the board secretary by phone at 816-650-7000 or via mail at 2101 N. Twyman Road, Independence, MO 64058
Board of Education Candidate Filing
Board of Education candidate filing will begin on Tuesday, December 11, 2018, beginning at 8:00 am and will end on Tuesday, January 15, 2019, at 5:00 p.m. Residents of the district who wish to serve one of the three-year terms on the Board of Education must file in-person at the Gragg Administrative Office located on the district's main campus at 2101 N. Twyman Road.
Filing will take place during regular business hours, Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm as outlined below:
Tuesday, December 11, 2018, 8:00 a.m. through Friday, December 21, 2018, 12:00 p.m. (noon) and
Wednesday, January 2, 2019, 8:00 a.m. through Tuesday, January 15, 2019, 5:00 p.m.
Filing will not occur on days that the school district offices are closed due to inclement weather.
Two (2) Board of Education positions will be available. Both positions are for a three-year term each. The name of each candidate will be placed on the ballot in the order of filing. Filing will not begin prior to 8:00 am on Tuesday, December 11, 2018.
Those declaring eligibility to hold office in accordance with Missouri law must:
1. Be a citizen of the United States of America;
2. Be a resident taxpayer of the Fort Osage R-1 School District;
3. Have resided in Missouri for a minimum of one (1) year immediately preceding the election;
4. Be at least 24 years of age;
5. Not be delinquent in payment of any state income taxes, personal property taxes, municipal taxes, or real property taxes on their place of residence;
6. Have not been found guilty of nor have pled guilty to a felony or misdemeanor under the federal laws of the United States, Missouri law or an offense in another state that would be considered a felony in Missouri;
7. Not registered or required to be registered as a sex offender pursuant to Missouri Law; or
8. have filed (or the treasurer of any existing candidate committee has filed) all required campaign disclosure reports with the Missouri Ethics Commission, when applicable, for all previous elections in which they were a candidate.