We don’t want your student to fall behind in school and get discouraged. Please ensure that your student attends school every day and arrives on time. Here are a few practical tips to help support regular attendance:
- Make sure your student keeps a regular bedtime and establishes a morning routine.
- Lay out clothes and pack backpacks the night before.
- Ensure your student goes to school every day unless he/she is truly sick.
- Avoid scheduling vacations or doctor’s appointments when school is in session.
- Seek advice from teachers and counselors if your student feels anxious about going to school.
- Develop back-up plans for getting to school if something comes up. Take your student to school if bus transportation isn’t available.
Let us know how we can best support you and your students so they can be present for school on time all day, every day. We want your student to be successful in school and in life! If you have any questions or need more information, please contact your child's school.
Creating and maintaining a culture that values good attendance is key to improving this outcome for students. Throughout the year, Every Minute Matters will focus on making good attendance a priority for students and families. Some of the plans in place to create this culture include:
- Website with information for families
- Regular social media posts that highlight the importance of good attendance
- Signs at each building highlighting the initiative and the school's current attendance rate
At Fort Osage we believe that every minute of every school day makes a difference in student learning. Every Minute Matters is intended to emphasize the importance of each minute of attendance and how good attendance is an important habit for life beyond school. Families play a critical role in making sure that students get to school every day and helping them understand why attendance is so important for success in school and in life.
We know that some absences are unavoidable due to health problems or other circumstances. We also know that when students miss too much school-regardless of the reason- it can cause them to fall behind academically.
Regular school attendance is important, both for students’ success in school during the current year, and in building habits that will ensure success for a lifetime.
Recognize Attendance Strengths
Every Minute Matters will include a variety of incentives to support the effort to improve student attendance. These rewards will honor both ongoing good attendance and attendance improvement in order to promote the District's goal. Planned incentives include:
- Monthly t-shirt give-ways and corresponding PR across the District to promote the idea that 'Every Minute Matters to Me'
- Cooperation with Food Service to have food-based incentives for students who achieve attendance targets
- Postcards sent by teachers to promote and encourage student attendance
- Classroom and building level incentives for students who attend regularly or whose attendance improves over time