Vision 2020 was the District's first master plan. The phases of Vision 2020 were aligned with Fort Osage R-1 School District's vision of quality learning and superior performance for all students. It was created in an effort to address aging facilities and population growth.
When the District worked with parents and the community to develop Vision 2020, the economy was better. Due to decreased property values and decline in revenues for the District, changes to Vision 2020 were necessary.
The District completed a survey of patrons and parents to assess the support level of projects that were most critical needs for the district. These were then turned into bond issues that were placed before the voters.
The following projects were part of Phase I, approved by voters on April 4, 2006.
- Build Indian Trails Elementary School for grades K-4 (completed August 2008)
- Upgrade security at all buildings (completed Fall 2007)
- Construct new roofs at Cler-Mont Elementary, Elm Grove Elementary, and Fort Osage High School (completed summer 2007)
- Renovate the four existing elementary schools (completed August 2008)
- Upgrade electrical system for the Career & Technology Center (completed summer 2007)
- Build Lewis and Clark Learning Center (completed summer 2007)
- Renovate Culinary Arts program facility (completed summer 2008)
- Improve softball field (completed summer 2007)
- Improve baseball field (completed spring 2009)
Phase 2 was approved by voters in April 2011.
- Construct new roofs at Buckner Elementary and Gragg Administration Building (completed summer/fall 2011)
- Replaced stadium lighting at Fort Osage High School (completed summer 2011)
- Construct new roofs at Osage Trail Middle School and the Career and Technology Center (completed summer 2012)
- Replace HVAC systems (completed summer of 2012)
- Upgrade science and home economic classrooms at Fort Osage High School (completed summer of 2012)
The District is in the process of creating a new facility master plan to carry the district forward. This master plan will identify current needs and will be the product of input from community, staff, and parents. Look for more information to come in the fall of 2016.
These needs were identified by the community in Vision 2020:
Construct a new support services building
Construct an auxiliary gym and weight room at Osage Trail Middle School
Construct a new 2,000-seat field house
Upgrade & expand the Fort Osage High School athletic facilities
Construct a new district office facility
Build a new Early Childhood/PAT facility
Construct additional classrooms at Fire Prairie Middle School
Construct additional classrooms at Osage Trail Middle School
Construct additional classrooms at the Career & Technology Center