Types of Scholarships
There are three main types of scholarships: Local, National and College
1. Local Scholarships
Available to seniors, the Local Scholarship program is a great opportunity for students to
apply for several scholarships provided through the Fort Osage School District and the
surrounding community. Applications for the Local Scholarship program will be available on
the main Counseling Center webpage beginning in January of each year.
2. National Scholarships
Thousands of scholarships are available nationwide and often go unclaimed
when no one applies for them. A simple Google search of "Scholarships" will generate numorous websites with valuable scholarship opportunities.
3. College Scholarships
Each year, colleges and universities award scholarships to students admitted
to their schools. Check each school's financial aid webpage for information
on available scholarships.
Helpful Tips for Winning a Scholarship (from fastweb.com)
- Start searching for scholarships as soon as possible. The sooner you start, the less likely you are to miss a deadline and the more scholarships you will have available to you. Familiarize yourself with the process and available scholarships early on. Do not wait until your senior year of high school to begin your search.
- Utilize free scholarship matching service websites such as fastweb.com. They are a great place to start your scholarship search. These types of websites will match you with scholarships you are eligible for based on your personal profile. These websites are also updated daily and will email you when a new scholarship becomes available that you are eligible to apply for.
- Always answer all of the questions, including optional questions. This is especially useful when applying through websites such as Fastweb. It will allow you to be matched up with about twice as many scholarships as students who answer only the required questions.
- Scholarships are available all around you and for just about everything. Check your local library and the High School Counseling Center for various scholarship applications. Check with the financial aid office of the college or university you will be attending. Be sure to fill out the Local Scholarship application available through the Fort Osage School District which is available to seniors each January.
- Apply for every scholarship that you are eligible for. The more you apply for, the better your chances of winning. The process will get easier and faster after a while as you will be able to reuse and adapt your application essay for different scholarships.
- Skip only those scholarships that you are not eligible for. Don't skip small scholarships. These scholarships are often easier to win as fewer students tend to apply for them due to their small dollar amount. But remember, the amounts add up!
- Remember, the person reading your essay will be reading many essays. Make yours stand out by keeping it interesting and memorable. Write about something you are interested in or passionate about. Discuss how someone has impacted you or your impact on someone else. Give examples and be specific.
- Proofread your application before submitting it. Have a teacher or parent proofread it as well. An essay filled with spelling and grammar errors will give the readers a bad impression and suggest you didn't care enough about the scholarship to take the time to look over the application for errors.
- Make or print a copy of your application before submitting it. If mailing an application, send by certified mail with a return receipt requested or with delivery confirmation.
- And Don't Forget....Don't miss deadlines and follow ALL instructions
Financial Aid and Scholarship Websites
Free Application for Federal Student Aid
Federal Student Aid
Largest Free Scholarship SearchFinancial Aid For Online CollegesSearch Affordable Online Colleges
Graduating Debt Free Guidebook
Guide to graduating debt-free
Other Helpful Websites
Accredited Schools in Missouri - http://www.
Online Colleges That Offer Tech Perks - http://www.
affordablecollegesonline.org/ online-colleges/online- colleges-that-offer-laptops/
Top Online Colleges in Missouri - http://www.
Universities and Colleges in Missouri - http://www.learnhowtobecome.
Columbia School Guide - http://www.
Kansas City School Guide - http://www.
Saint Louis School Guide - http://www.
Springfield School Guide - http://www.
Criminal Justice Programs in Missouri - http://www.
accreditedschoolsonline.org/ criminal-justice-degree/ missouri/
Fire Science Programs in Missouri - http://www.firescience.org/
LPN Programs in Missouri - http://www.
accreditedschoolsonline.org/ practical-nursing/lpn- programs-in-missouri/
Medical Assistant Programs in Missouri - http://www.
accreditedschoolsonline.org/ medical-and-health/medical- assistant/missouri/
Nursing Schools in Missouri - http://www.
Psychology Programs in Missouri - http://www.learnpsychology.
Teacher Programs in Missouri - http://www.teachtomorrow.org/
Vocational Trade Schools in Missouri - http://www.
accreditedschoolsonline.org/ vocational-trade-school/ missouri