Contact Elected Officials
The Fort Osage School District encourages our parents, students, staff, and community to communicate with their elected officials.
Writing a letter is a direct way to communicate with a state legislative office. When writing a letter here are a few tips to follow:
- Individually written letters, rather than mass generated form letters, make a greater impression.
- Type your name, address, and phone number at the top.
- Addressing correspondence:
- To a State Senate: The Honorable (Full Name)
- To a State House of Representatives: The Honorable (Full Name)
- Be specific. Your purpose for writing should be stated in the first paragraph of the letter.
- If your letter pertains to a specific piece of legislation, be sure to identify its full name and number, e.g. House Bill: HB____, Senate Bill: SB____. Try to send your letter while the issue is still alive.
- State your position and explain why you support or oppose the issue.
- State examples concerning the impact the legislation has on the local level.
- Make sure to follow up wether you agree or disagree with the way your elected offical